Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Beginning of a Story: The Tiger in the Bamboo Forest


"Once upon a time there was a mighty tiger, with fur black as midnight and as orange as a blazing sunset. His eyes were like two topaz gems and fiercer than any other tiger's eyes.
This tiger had found his way into an almost forgotten bamboo forest..."

So, those are the first few words of a story-to-be. I have a lot of these, stories that started in my head and were then committed partly to paper. I'm never entirely sure if or when I will finish them.

The sad thing is that you can have a really good idea for a story but then, somewhere in the middle, you realize something is missing. Or, you have an idea that strikes you like lightning and forces you to sacrifice your nights to write it down. Personally, I found that the more sleep-deprived I am, the more ideas I have. And then I have to get that stuff out of my head, that is, write it down.

So much for Creative Process.

Now, if you will, think about the tiger. What is he up to in this ancient bamboo forest?

No comments:

Post a Comment