Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Fish, Anyone?

So here I am, writing about fish and when I say fish, I mean mermaids of course. The story of the little mermaid is somewhat sad, don't you think? I find it has great potential for drama...and bloodshed.

Also, I find that I had a lot of peotry accepted by the first market I sent the pieces to. I wouldn't complain, but sometimes I wonder if those poems couldn't have needed some more editing. Then again, I sometimes edit poems--very minor changes but still--whenever I read and re-read them. But forgive me, I was talking about fish.

Well, personally, I don't get the little mermaid. I mean, all that, just for some prince? Me, I feel much too independent for that sort of thing, and I do suppose I wouldn't mind living in the ocean myself.

Then again, doesn't the ocean always taste like fish (here's the vegetarian talking...)? I also heard people wondering whether it wasn't more a case of fish, tasting like the ocean, one pretty existential question that I might explore further in my writing (or not).

Sometimes, the morale of fairy tales doesn't feel all that right to me, or rather, it feels wrong for today, wrong for the world we live in. I think, the little mermaid today would have needed more than just feet, only what exactly she would have needed, I'm not so sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment