Sunday, August 1, 2010

Exploring Addiction

OMG. I have never considered myself especially prone to any sort of...ah...drug. Well, yeah, there have been books that I just had to read without sleeping, but that's normal, right? If you'd told me I'd find a vice pretty soon, I'd have laughed at you. Had you suggested I might spend hours with a browser game (a browser game!!!) I would have done my best to subtly insult you with my comeback. But all that was before I discovered Echo Bazaar.

This little browser game (to which, I am afraid, I am addicted like a prisoner to honey) works hand in hand with your Twitter account. When I first laid eyes on the game, I thought it didn't look like much (and remember: me, I didn't play browser games before). But then I started reading, and I soon was hooked (it actually felt like swallowing the hook whole and being pulled towards land by a relentless fisher, fast).

The whole thing is actually quite simple: develop your character's abilities (Dangerous, Watchful, Persuasive, Shadowy) and master different challenges, which for the most part, you can choose yourself. While at it, avoid going mad; I did enter A State of Some Confusion once, and although it was fun in a way, I am not exactly looking to repeat the experience. I think you can also do some fighting, but I'm a peaceful gal and hence, I have as of yet not undertaken such sweaty business.

The story is set in Fallen London. The atmosphere is painted deliciously dark and told with snippets of delightful tale. You glimpse a little of the whole here and there, run into strange characters/creatures and more than once I found myself thinking that I'd been caught on the pages of some Gothic novel. I hear there are countless places to go yet, and I see a candle burning over there. I should be off now, talking to cats. It wouldn't do for me to tell you everything either, Fallen London has to be explored first hand. Just remember to deal with your nightmares before they deal with you, 'kay?

No comments:

Post a Comment