Saturday, December 2, 2017

NaNoWriMo Wrap-Up Post

This year, I finally decided to do NaNoWriMo (that's National Novel Writing Month for those who are unaware.) The goal of NaNoWriMo is to produce 50,000 words of the first draft of your novel. However, I knew that that was just not gonna work for me, it just felt too constricting, both the word count and the fact that you are supposed to work on one ms at a time.

So I changed the goal somewhat, primarily my focus was to Get Stuff Done. I roped in my alter, Ms. Piper, to help out, and the results were pretty good. Let's have a look:

  • One novella completed (21k)
  • One novelette completed (7.9k)
  • Another novelette completed (14k)
  • One flash story completed (600)
  • One short story completed (1.5k)
  • Two blog posts completed (2k)
  • One novel rewrite almost complete (about 50k)
  • One novella about one third complete (about 12k, this might eventually become a novel)

This looks good. I'm very pleased with myself!

File:Yume1004.jpgAnother achievement I am very proud of is the regularity with which I managed to pursue daily designated writing time, especially because this month was so very busy at the day job. Because of that, I didn't manage to write every singe day, sheer exhaustion just didn't allow that sometimes, but those wordless days were just a handful, and for the most part, the habit of daily writing stuck.

This is something I cannot recommend highly enough by the way, it's a huge sacrifice, particularly if you have a day job, but the output was really worth it, at least for me. It's not a habit I want to let go anytime soon.

That being said, every month is a good writing month, December just started, and I got words to put on the page!

~~~

Image: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Yume1004.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment